1. WHAT ARC WELDING PROCESSES ARE SIMULATED BY THE VRTEX®?
The VRTEX® 360 simulates the SMAW (E6010, E6013, and E7018), GMAW (short arc, spray, pulse and STT® metal transfers) and FCAW (Self-shielded and Gas-shielded) processes in the standard system.
The VRTEX® Mobile simulates the GMAW (short arc, spray, pulse and STT® metal transfers) and FCAW (Self-shielded and Gas-shielded) processes in the standard system. SMAW (E6010, E6013, and E7018) is an optional hardware and software kit.
SMAW (Optional on VRTEX® Mobile)
• E6010 (Fleetweld® 5P+)
• E7018 (Excalibur® 7018)
• E6013 (Fleetweld® 37)
• Short Arc (.035” SuperArc® L-56)
• Axial Spray (.045” SuperArc® L-56)
• Pulse (.045” SuperArc® L-56)
• STT® Surface Tension Transfer® (.045” SuperArc® L-56)
• Gas-shielded .045 “ (UltraCore® 71A85)
• Self-Shielded 5/64” (Innershield® NR-232)
2. WHAT TYPE OF WELD JOINT CONFIGURATIONS CAN I USE WITH THE SYSTEM?
The VRTEX® 360 comes with 5 welding coupons (Flat Plate, Tee Joint, Groove Joint, 2" XXS Pipe and 6" Sch 40 pipe) that can be used in multiple positions.
The VRTEX® Mobile comes with 3 welding coupons (Flat Plate, Tee Joint, Groove Joint) that can be used in limited positions.
3. WHAT POSITIONS CAN I PUT THE VR COUPONS IN?
The VRTEX® 360 supports all positions:
• Plate: Flat, Horizontal, Vertical and Overhead
• Pipe: 2G, 5G and 6G
The VRTEX® Mobile supports limited positions:
• Plate: Flat, Horizontal and Vertical
4. CAN I RUN THE VRTEX® SOFTWARE ON MY OWN COMPUTER?
No. The VRTEX® uses an advanced computer system and specialized peripheral equipment to allow the simulation to run smoothly. The system comes with a computer that has been optimized for the needs of the simulation software and peripheral equipment that allows the simulation to work properly.
5. HOW CAN THE VRTEX® TURN MY WELDING PROGRAM GREEN?
The VRTEX® system makes it possible to learn how to weld in an eco-friendly manner. Instructors who use virtual reality training will minimize their material waste and environmental footprint. The product teaches welding without the use of shielding gas, welding electrodes or welding coupons and does not require weld fume removal.
It also reduces the disposal of waste as a result of training such as base material, consumable parts, etc. The VRTEX® also allows students to be taught with a reduction in overall energy consumption by requiring less energy than a traditional welding machine, feeder and weld fume control system.
6. CAN I USE DIFFERENT WELDING TECHNIQUES (DRAG, PUSH, WHIP, WEAVE, ETC.)?
The VRTEX® can be set up by the instructor to accommodate many types of welding techniques such as:
• Push and drag GMAW techniques
• Stringer beads
• Weave techniques - straight, triangle and box weave
7. HOW CAN I SAVE MY STUDENTS WELD REPORTS?
A USB memory device is inserted into the front of the VRTEX® 360 and the VRTEX® Mobile to collect reports. When the student presses the “End pass” button, the weld information is saved as a .pdf file onto the device. The student reports include all of the information shown on the graphing screen.
8. HOW DO I INTEGRATE THIS SYSTEM INTO MY CURRENT WELDING CURRICULUM?
Lincoln Electric New Lesson’s in VRAW™ Virtual Reality Arc Welding is an integrated approach that blends Virtual Reality with traditional methods. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
9. CAN MULTIPLE VIRTUAL ARCS BE RUN OFF OF ONE SYSTEM?
No, one virtual arc per system, similar to a standard welding machine. To maximize the use of the system, many schools currently implementing VR welding training, station two students on the system at a time with one in a coaching role and the other practicing their welding technique. The students are then rotated through the VR Welding lab.
10. CAN I ‘STICK’ MY ELECTRODE?
No. The system does not simulate sticking of the electrode or wire push back due to excessive CTWD. However, the system will not allow the student to weld when a very short arc length or excessive CTWD is used. Students are encouraged to learn about these welding situations as well as the troubleshooting of welding equipment welding through real welding experience.
11. WHAT LANGUAGES DOES THE VRTEX® SUPPORT?
The VRTEX® 360 system includes language support for English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese.
Recently released! The VRTEX has now expanded language support for Portuguese (Brazilian) and Russian.
12. WHAT IS THE INPUT POWER AND CURRENT?
Input power: 115/230/1/50/60
Input current: 4A @ 115, 2A @ 230
13. DOES THE VRTEX® REQUIRE ANY SPECIAL SET-UP AND INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS?
• The VRTEX® system requires a space of 8’ L x 8’ D x 8’ H (2.4 m x 2.4 m x 2.4 m).
• When operating multiple units in one location, alternate between standard and alternate frequency systems (unique part numbers are identified).
• The VRTEX® system is not designed for operation in harsh environments. Recommendations are listed in the instruction manual.
• Avoid magnetic fields, conductive and high frequency objects and processes.
• An uninterruptible power supply (UPS) may be required for protection of the system from power irregularities and/or disruptions