John Cromwell Lincoln founded The Lincoln Electric Company on December 5, 1895 with "more nerve than knowledge" with an innovative, adjustable-speed direct current motor, followed by the launch of arc welding equipment in 1911. He served as Chairman from 1895 to 1929, and died in 1959.
James Finney Lincoln, John's brother, joined the company in 1907, led day-to-day operations in 1914 and served as Chairman from 1929 to his death in 1965. His focus on individual initiative shaped Lincoln's Incentive Management System.
JC Lincoln's drafting set and office name plate.
The Lincoln Electric Company's entire workforce in 1907 in the World Building at 71 and 73 Ontario Street, Cleveland, Ohio.
The Lincoln Electric Company's baseball team circa 1907. JC Lincoln stands in the back row, center. JF Lincoln kneels in his Ohio State University letter sweater (marked by an "O").
JF Lincoln believed his salesforce had a special mission to promote arc welding. He wrote "Selling Helps for Lincoln Salesmen" circa 1917 with advice and guidelines on personal decorum, self-confidence, ethics, and athleticism to selling value-added solutions and fielding customers' questions.
1921 print advertisement promoting the safety of arc welding as an innovative alternative to the traditional method of riveting metals together.
Lincoln Electric welder used in 1927 on one of the first pipelines to be arc welded.
Copy of JC Lincoln's original 1918 patent application for his "method and means for electric arc welding." The patent was granted in 1929.
Early 1900s company-issued binder highlighting its motor and arc welding products.
In 1929, The Lincoln Electric Company joined other welding companies to run a series of advertisements in popular magazines like Time, Business Week, and Nation's Business to promote arc welding to bosses to advance adoption.
In 1923, the company moved into a plant on Coit Road in the Collinwood neighborhood, abandoned by the bankrupt Grant Motor Car Company. The site was expanded three times until the company ultimately moved to Euclid in 1951.
In 1926, the company published The Stabilizer "for those who take pride in their jobs." The magazine was an immediate success and readership climbed from 200 to over 100,000 by 1948.
1929 patent diagram for JC Lincoln's electric arc welding innovation.
Following the success of Fleetwood 5, the company advertised the Fleetwood 47 in the 1950s highlighting its improved productivity and value to customers.
Arc-welded framework of a 14-story office building.
Miniature version of the circa 1915 "Stable-arc" welder, suitable for welding in the field.
The Lincoln Electric Company's workforce in 1910. John Lincoln is in the center.
The company expanded into Canada in 1917.
The Lincoln Electric welding school logo. Established in 1917 to train U.S. troops heading to WWI.
This 400 amp double operator "Stable-Arc" welder featured a Buda six-cylinder gas engine suitable for welding in the field. Circa 1915-1920.
Employee identity pin and number, circa 1920s.
Early welding equipment with a wall-mounted control panel. Undated.
In 1906, JC Lincoln erected his first factory on Kelley Avenue and East 38th Street in Cleveland, Ohio at a cost of $20,000 to $25,000. The space allowed him to expand his workforce to 30 and sales grew from $50,000 to $60,000 per year.
Early street signs for Lincoln Electric headquarters: Kelley Av. N.E. & E. 38 St.
Workers wind and place coils in the stators and rotors of Lincoln motors, circa 1900.
JC Lincoln and his wife ride in an electric vehicle with the dynamo-motor he designed in 1900 in the first heyday of the electric car. On flat terrain, it could reach a top speed of 16 miles an hour.
JC Lincoln's variable speed electric motor. Patent filed in 1905 and approved in 1916. Lincoln's motors were sold to small manufacturers, machine shops and elevator companies.
One of the many publications the James F. Lincoln Foundation issued to aggressively promote arc welding through education.
Advertisement for a Lincoln Arc Welder in 1919.
Lincoln motors advertisement demonstrating the motor's ability to run underwater and not rust, circa early 1900s.
The Upper Carnegie Medical Building was built in 1928 and was the first welded multi-story commercial building in the United States.
JF Lincoln in Melbourne Australia in 1938. Lincoln expanded internationally into Australia that same year with 15 employees. After a rocky start, the organization achieved 3-times the output of its competitors by 1946 and was a leader in the market.
Lincoln's business model emphasized simplicity and productivity - focusing on doing a few things well and passing on lower costs to customers made possible through efficient manufacturing.
Advertisement for a Lincoln Stable Arc welder in 1922.
Expansion into Canada.
The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding Design and Practice was first published in 1933 and played an important role in winning wider acceptance for arc welding among designers, construction engineers and welding operators in the field. It remains in print and has sold over half a million copies.
Lincoln Electric sales office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1936.
Armco International, Lincoln's international distributor, issued this advertisement in France in 1952 for Lincoln electrodes.
The James F. Lincoln Foundation expanded its competition and cash prizes for the best papers on subjects that explored new aspects for the application of welding. This second competition sought new war time applications for welding.
Lapel pin for the Lincoln Electric welding school.
Idealarc® welder advertisement highlighted a new transformer/rectifier welder with dual arc control to produce either AC or DC welding current. Circa 1950s.
The James F. Lincoln Foundation logo circa 1940s.
JC Lincoln's employee identification pin circa early 1950s.
Infrastructure construction, in which welding is essential.
Lincoln established a facility in Rouen, France, built between 1955 and 1957. The plant expanded to produce welding machine assemblies, Fleetweld® 5, and flux.
An arc welding lesson provides guidelines for using Lincoln's Fleetweld® 5 electrode. The Fleetweld® 5 coated electrode was initially launched in 1927, and its innovative design could produce welds with 20% to 50% higher tensile strength and 100% greater ductility than those made with bare electrodes. This product catapulted Lincoln Electric through the Great Depression and WWII.
Photo of the Lincoln Advisory Board in 1943. Originally organized in 1914, the Advisory Board was at the foundation of J.F. Lincoln's management philosophy. The Board's purpose is to bring employees and management together for discussion on matters that are "conducive to the mutual interests and welfare of the employees and management." The Board continues to meet regularly with management today.
Following the 1946 publication and success of JF's Lincoln's Incentive System, JF lectured on the foundational pillars of his management system, the guiding principle The Golden Rule, and how employees had latent abilities that needed to be encouraged and rewarded. This is the manuscript of JF's address to The Canadian Club of Toronto on the topic in 1947.
JF Lincoln hands out profit sharing bonus checks to workers in December, 1946. December 22, 1936 marked the initial profit sharing bonus event where JF distributed profit sharing bonuses in cash to employees and emphasized that the bonus represented the improved efficiency of the company achieved through the workers' collective efforts. About 22% of payroll that year went to the workers' bonus.
Pamphlet highlighting the industry-leading arc welding instruction at the Lincoln Electric Welding School. On the cover, Art Madson, Chief Instructor at the school, shows a student how to make a vertical weld in 1937.
Classroom instruction at the Lincoln Electric Welding School, circa 1940s.
Pathfinder News Magazine highlights JF Lincoln's unique Incentive Management System that aligns the interests of workers, management and shareholders with an incentive-based system that includes: piece work-based pay, guaranteed employment, an earned profit sharing bonus and an open door policy with management reinforced by an Advisory Board and a Junior Board.
Media coverage of the 1943 profit sharing bonus as JF Lincoln's incentive management system gained attention and scrutiny among business leaders, academia and the U.S. government. A $3,000,000 profit sharing bonus was distributed.
"Lincoln Electric Plays Santa" article.
1941 Annual Report detailing sales and key investments made that year.
Workmen at an east coast shipyard view one of the liberty ships they helped build using Lincoln Electric arc welding products. October 1944.
Lincoln Electric welders were critical in the rapid, mass construction of liberty ships during WWII.
Ship construction, in which welding is essential.
The Employee Suggestion Program was instituted in 1929 and accepted suggestions that saved the company money directly through increased efficiency. Those participating were entitled to receive 50 percent of the net savings for the year immediately following the adoption of the suggestion. While the system was challenging to implement, it reflects JF's desire to reward individual initiative and suggestion programs exist today.
WWII victory button.
Welding is essential to fabricate, maintain and repair various military equipment, including tanks and ships.
Charlie Davis, VP, leader of The Lincoln Welding School, is highlighted in this article promoting women's natural skills for welding.
Graduates of the first class of women at Lincoln Electric's Welding School in January, 1943. Charlie Davis telegrammed the graduates stating: "By completing the class of welding you have demonstrated that you are entitled to stand beside the men in the Army and Navy...".
The front entrance of The Lincoln Electric Company's new headquarter factory in Euclid, Ohio, circa 1952.
The company engaged with youth programs, like the Future Farmers of America (FFA) starting in the 1940s. Today, Lincoln remains engaged with FFA, the Scouts, 4-H, WorldSkills, among other youth-oriented organizations that promote skills.
Efficiency increased dramatically after 1951 when the company moved from the Coit Road facility to a carefully designed new factory in Euclid, Ohio. The state-of-the-art, cost efficient plant reflected JF's faith in the latent ability of Lincoln workers to find ways to cut costs. He placed at the entrance of the new plant an epigram attributed to the nineteenth-century French poet, Alphonse de Lamartine: "The actual is limited, the possible is immense."
Lincoln executives are being presented a model of the new 20-acre plant by George A. Bryant, President of the Austin Company (center, bending forward).
Jetweld® and Fleetweld® 47 advertisement, circa 1950s.
One of the JF Lincoln Foundation's most significant contributions to welding literature was a massive reference volume written by Omer Blodgett, Design of Welded Structural Connections. Omer was a pioneer in the field of structural welding design and led seminars for mechanical and structural engineering. His work, along with JF Lincoln Foundation's award program "Welded Bridges in the Future" in the late-1940s, heavily influenced U.S. highway bridge design.
Jetweld® 3 and Fleetweld® 77 advertisement, circa 1960s.
The front entrance of The Lincoln Electric Company's new headquarter factory in Euclid, Ohio, circa 1952.
1956 Annual Report for The Lincoln Electric Company.
Lincoln Electric welding beanie, circa 1950s.
Package of Lincoln's Selfweld general purpose stick electrodes, circa late-1940s to 1950s.
Lincoln-branded dealer manual binder, circa late-1940s to 1950s.
1959 edition of the Stabilizer offering tribute to Charlie Davis (on cover), who led Lincoln's Welding School and educational programs for decades.
Oil and gas applications, in which welding is essential.
The United Engineering Building, New York City. Was home of American Welding Society and American Society of Civil Engineers.
William Irrgang was the first non-Lincoln Chairman of the company and served as Chairman from 1965 to 1986. Irrgang maintained JF's philosophy of producing progressively better products at a lower price for customers and that employees' earnings and promotion are in direct proportion to their individual contribution toward the company's success.
Harvard Business School logo. Lincoln Electric first engaged with HBS in 1930 in a case study on the company's steel procurement strategy.
In 1975, the Harvard Business School prepared a new case study on Lincoln Electric. The author was struck by extraordinary continuity of the company's strategy and its steady earnings growth driven by JF Lincoln's vision for the company and the Incentive Management System. Today, several additional HBS cases have been written about Lincoln Electric, but the 1975 case remains a best seller today.
Use: Tank cars, along with other rolling stock, are fabricated using arc welding.
The "Spark Profits" campaign was launched, circa late 1950s to early 1960s.
Sales flyer promoting three books published by the Lincoln brothers outlining their commitment to The Golden Rule, how to shape a unique culture and incentive management system that aligns all stakeholders.
Premium Lincoln-branded hub cap for a Lincoln Electric SA-200 pipeliner trailer.
Miniature version of a Lincoln Electric SA-200 pipeline welder.
An early-1980s pin encouraging welding activity to combat the economic recession of the time. The early 1980s were a time of hardship, with Lincoln Electric's sales dropping 40% in response to the combined effects of inflation, a spike in energy costs, and a national recession. Although guaranteed continuous employment received a severe test, not one Lincoln Electric employee was laid off for lack of work.
George Willis (left), Donald Hastings, VP sales (center) and William Irrgang, CEO examine the list of volunteers for the Leopard Program in 1981. The program encouraged employees to "change their spots" and volunteer to join the sales force to help sell new products during the recession. Hastings also added 300 new distributors to stock Lincoln products during the recession, which significantly expanded Lincoln's reach into the market.
Innershield was a technical breakthrough offering an "inside out" filler metal with flux on the inside which required no gas. It produced a dense vapor shield around the arc to protect the weld pool from the atmosphere.
The 68 selected volunteer employees in the Leopard Program used retrofitted vans to travel cross-country to demo new Lincoln products during the recession and generated $10 million in new sales.
The demonstration of a new Idealarc® SP200 welder, the company's first gas-shielded arc welding product, in the Leopard Program van.
The new Mentor, Ohio manufacturing facility opened in 1977 to manufacture filler metals.
Lincoln Electric-branded welding gloves.
Idealarc® 400 welder, circa 1990s.
1990 Harris® regulators and brazing solutions.
Lincoln Electric-branded decimal and fraction conversion tool, circa 1960s to 1970s.
Lincoln Arc Welder logo used in 1982.
Weights and Measures conversion table, circa 1960s to 1970s.
1944 report on the company's progress from the great depression through WWII highlighted the company's exceptional performance. From 1934 to 1942, sales grew 6x, the average workers' pay more than doubled, production per man-year more than quadrupled, and the quality of filler metals improved, while the price of an electrode declined over 65% due to greater efficiency.
The publications of The Lincoln Electric Company in the 1930s were coined, "The Seven Keys to Welding Wisdom."
A large-scale, interactive electrode selection guide, circa 1940s.
The 1980s represented an era of accelerated international growth. Lincoln Electric obtained a controlling interest in manufacturing operations located in 16 countries by the late-1980s.
Lincoln celebrates its centennial anniversary in 1995 and achieved a record $1 billion in sales that year.
George E. Willis succeeded William Irrgang and served as Chairman from 1986 to 1992. He set out to expand Lincoln's international footprint and presence in gas-shielded arc welding solutions.
Lincoln Electric's centennial flag commemorating their 100th year anniversary.
Lincoln Electric's centennial logo.
A centennial anniversary gift.
1989 Lincoln Electric supported welding needs at the Indy 500 race. Today, Lincoln continues to partner with NASCAR®, Indycar®, NHRA®, and other motor sport organizations to support their welding needs.
In 1990, Lincoln acquired Harris Calorific from Emerson Electric. A Harris® Port-A-Torch kit offering welding, brazing, oxyfuel cutting and gas regulators.
The prospectus for Lincoln Electric's initial public offering of 30 million shares on NASDAQ on June 15, 1995. The offering added $81 million in new equity.
Lincoln Electric started to partner with FANUC® in the early 1990s to develop Lincoln's automated arc welding and cutting solutions.
Mechanized automated solution for submerged arc welding, circa mid-1990s.
Lincoln Electric installed a 443-foot tall wind tower in June, 2011 at its headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio. It is the largest known urban wind tower in North America and is capable of producing 2.5-megawatts of electrical energy, or approximately 10 percent of the facility's energy requirements.
Lincoln Electric started to trade on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol "LECO" on June 15, 1995.
Donald F. Hastings succeeded Willis and served as Chairman from 1992 to 1997. He led Lincoln's IPO and further shaped the international business during his tenure.
Automobiles, another industry in which welding is essential.
In 1998, the company outlined its new strategic plan to enhance its product line with digitized equipment, expand in targeted international markets, and enhance the quality, range and appeal of Lincoln products through greater R&D investment.
In 1994, Lincoln Electric was awarded its first of three Presidential Awards for Export Excellence - highlighting the company's ability to competitively grow its business by manufacturing in the U.S. and exporting internationally.
1997 Power Wave® digitized inverter-based welder with monitoring capabilities. The 1996 acquisition of Electronic Welding Systems (EWS) in Italy expanded Lincoln's digital inverter technology.
The 1998 celebration marking Lincoln's new joint venture in Turkey, Askaynak. Lincoln acquired the remaining ownership shares of Askaynak in 2019.
1998 Lincoln lab in China. The Company established a joint venture in Shanghai and a state-of-the-art facility to serve the Chinese market.
Print advertisement for Lincoln's weld fume control solutions.
Wind turbines and other sustainable energy sources use welding in their fabrication.
In 2012, Lincoln Electric acquired Burney Kaliburn, a company solely dedicated to advanced mechanized plasma cutting technology. The Spirit plasma cutting system was their latest innovative solution. This photo shows the Spirit II logo cut with the Spirit II 275.
Magnum® and Magnum® PRO welding guns are among several welding guns offered for MIG and flux-cored applications, spool and push-pull guns for aluminum welding, and self-shielded flux-cored guns for special process applications.
An aluminum robotic welding solution.
Spark, published in 2008 by Frank Koller, highlights Lincoln's decades-long promise to its workers under JF's Incentive Management System. Mr. Koller continues to track Lincoln's performance and lectures to academia and business leaders about Lincoln's unique business model.
Welding wire (filler metal) produced at Lincoln Electric.
2008 advertisement highlighting Lincoln's submerged arc solutions.
Lincoln's acquisition of several leading automation integrators, including Tennessee Rand and Wayne Trail, expanded Lincoln's automation offering to include integrated laser systems, line builds, robotic welding and cutting, press automation, tube process automation and structural frame automation. Image of an automated assembly line for appliances.
Miniature ABB robotic arm is representative of the many branded robot arms we support and integrate into our automated joining and cutting systems.
Anthony A. Massaro, the first external leader, succeeded Hastings. He served as Chairman from 1997 to 2004 and his tenure focused on modernizing the Incentive Management System, expanding Lincoln's international footprint, and enhancing the quality, range and appeal of Lincoln's products.
Lincoln revolutionized welding education with the launch of the virtual trainer, VRTEX® in 2009 and continues to advance virtual and augmented reality training solutions today. Virtual training, in conjunction with live arc training, reduces training time by over 20% and increases mastery and certification. Photo of the VRTEX® 360 using GMAW 6-inch 2G pipe.
The extensive metal stamping equipment in Lincoln's headquarter facility in Cleveland, Ohio. Lincoln's operational strategy to be vertically integrated enables it to control and produce over 85% of components in-house. This has yielded cost savings, higher quality components, and faster product development cycles.
Lincoln's Polish subsidiary, Bester®, manufactures the light industrial welding equipment, the Handy Mig® in 2002.
Lincoln is a leading provider of one of the broadest portfolios of filler metals globally to serve diverse applications and end markets. High quality raw materials, proprietary manufacturing processes and extensive expertise in metallurgy and software development differentiate Lincoln's product performance.
The Magnum® PRO 100SG spool gun was launched as an economical, reliable and precise wire feeder for soft aluminum wire - perfect for occasional and experienced welders.
Lincoln has partnered with heavy industry leaders globally to help them maximize the fabrication of their earth moving equipment, whether for agriculture, construction or mining applications.
In 2011, Lincoln acquired Techalloy, a producer of nickel alloy and stainless steel welding consumables, to expand its portfolio of high alloy filler metals for energy and infrastructure applications.
A Lincoln automated welding solution in use at a Chinese automotive fabrication line.
On July 29, 2008, U.S. President George W. Bush, visited Lincoln's automation division and spoke to 700 employees. That same day, Ohio Governor, Ted Strickland, honored the company as "Large Business Exporter of the Year" as part of the 2008 Governor's Excellence in Exporting award program. At the time, Lincoln was exporting approximately 30% of its Cleveland-manufactured products to customers worldwide and had been honored in 2006 with the U.S. President's E-Star award for exporting excellence.
In 2012, Lincoln acquired Weartech, a producer of cobalt-based hard facing and wear-resistant welding consumables. The photo showcases the molten alloy centrifugal casting process.
Lincoln's industry-leading Power Wave® advanced welding platform delivers the industry's fastest travel speeds, lowest spatter generation, superior gap bridging, & excellent penetration profiles. The Power Wave® 450R is the preeminent welding power source for robotic solutions, offering intelligent process control and industry 4.0 capabilities.
The acquisition of Uhrhan & Schwill Schweisstechnik in March 1998 expanded Lincoln's submerged arc welding automated solutions. Lincoln offers beam-mounted, portable tractor or semi-automatic submerged arc welding systems for heavy fabrication environments.
Circa 2011 Harris Products Group oxyfuel cutting torch.
Circa 2011 automated orbital pipe welding solution being operated by handheld pendants.
In 2012, Lincoln Electric acquired Burney Kaliburn, a company solely dedicated to advanced mechanized plasma cutting technology. The Spirit 400a plasma cutting system represented a major breakthrough in precision high current density plasma cutting and marking. Today, Lincoln's FineLine® high definition plasma cutting technology is a leading industry power source.
Lincoln® products can be found in numerous DIY, automotive and competition television shows and movie blockbusters like "Iron Man." This 2007 photo showcases "Junkyard Wars," which was among the earliest TV shows who partnered with Lincoln.
Innershield® flux-cored self-shielded wire filler metal used in an overhead welding application. Innershield® is used in structural, offshore, transportation and marine applications.
The Magnum® PRO 250L is the most durable welding gun of the Magnum® PRO L-series family. With sufficient amperage for bigger jobs, it is recommended for medium-duty job shop and production applications.
In 2009, the organization launched its first 10-year long-term strategy, "2020 Vision & Strategy." The strategy focused on accelerated growth through innovative solutions and acquisitions, operational excellence, best-in-class financial metrics, and rigorous environmental and safety goals.
In 2011, Lincoln expanded its cutting solutions with the acquisition of Reno, Nevada-based Torchmate® brand of CNC plasma and oxyfuel cutting tables and systems. The Torchmate® product line of automated plasma cutting tables encompasses a broad scope of machines from entry-level CNC machines—the Torchmate 4400, to the industrial plasma cutting tables with the Torchmate 5100, and everything in between.
Lincoln Electric® and Harris® branded products are proudly sold at retail, including at leading big box stores such as Home Depot® and Lowes®.
Since 2011, Lincoln has partnered with the American Welding Society (AWS) to promote welding through the AWS Careers in Welding Trailer. The 53-foot trailer travels across the country and showcases welding technology, career opportunities and showcases Lincoln's VRTEX virtual training solution.
A sample of Lincoln Electric welding filler metals and brazing rods. Lincoln's broad portfolio of filler metals include MIG, TIG, stick electrodes, metal-cored wires, gas-shielded, flux-cored wires, self-shielded cored wires, alloys, hardfacing, submerged arc, brazing alloys and a variety of solders.
In 2014, Lincoln acquired REALWELD®, a versatile welding trainer that provides a highly interactive solution that reinforces real welding training under real conditions. Used in conjunction with VRTEX® virtual training and Lincoln's U/Linc® curriculum, educators are equipped with the industry's most comprehensive educational welding program.
Following the 2018 acquisition of Inovatech, Lincoln launched the PythonX® PLATE robotic plasma cutting system - Lincoln's next generation robotic cutting table that offers virtually endless plate cutting abilities, versatility, and breathtaking speed. A six-axis robot, dual-drive servo motors, and a gantry guided by the finest high precision motion control system allow the robotic torch to easily switch from standard to bevel cutting without the need for special equipment or extra setup time.
The acquisition of Vernon Tool in 2007 expanded Lincoln's portfolio to include computer-controlled pipe cutting equipment used for precision fabrication purposes. Today, Vernon Tool continues to manufacture and supply industrial pipe cutting machines, pipe beveling equipment and metal tube cutting machinery worldwide.
2019 grand opening of Lincoln's technical application center in Germany. Lincoln's Board of Directors is joined by International Welding's president, Steve Hedlund, who is cutting the ceremonial ribbon.
John M. Stropki, Jr. succeeded Massaro and served as Chairman from 2004 to 2013. He oversaw continued international expansion, the continued digitization and automation of welding solutions, and the acquisition of J. W. Harris in 2005, which expanded Lincoln's position in the brazing and soldering alloys market.
Lincoln continues to distribute the profit-sharing bonus each consecutive year since it was first established by JF in 1934.
Current Lincoln Electric® welding beanie that offers head protection as a helmet liner.
Lincoln's acquisition of several leading automation integrators, including Tennessee Rand and Wayne Trail, expand Lincoln's automation offering to include integrated laser systems, line builds, robotic welding and cutting, press automation, tube process automation and structural frame automation. Image of an automotive automated welding line.
Announcement of Lincoln's $30 million investment to more than double the size of its prestigious welding school and expand its curriculum and capabilities as the new "Welding Technology & Training Center."
Lincoln Electric was named as "One of the 2020 World's Most Ethical Companies" by Ethisphere - the company's third consecutive award. The award distinguishes leaders who advance corporate cultures defined by integrity and whose initiatives contribute to broader societal imperatives and the greater good.
Christopher L. Mapes succeeded Stropki and has served as Chairman since 2013. His leadership has focused on operational and financial excellence as well as Lincoln's expansive growth and leadership in automated solutions.
Lincoln leverages its extensive network of application tech centers across the world to engage with customers on new solutions and processes.
The Welding Technology & Training Center (WTTC) was launched in 2018 in Euclid, Ohio, following the centennial anniversary of Lincoln's original welding school. WTTC's educational programs support the comprehensive education of new welders, enhanced training for professional welders, and customized curriculums for industrial customers seeking the most innovative and productive welding technologies and processes for their operations.
In 2020, Lincoln Electric has 58 manufacturing facilities located in 18 countries - spread across North and South America, Europe and in Asia-Pacific. Our solutions reach customers in over 160 countries.
Lincoln's TIG torches include premium air-cooled and water-cooled models that are light and easy to use with the power of maximum versatility and maneuverability.
The Lincoln Asia Pacific team engages with customers to showcase new solutions and capabilities that will advance productivity and safety in customers' operations.
In 2018, Lincoln launched its new China Technology Center in Shanghai. The state-of-the-art welding technology center showcases a welding research and development lab, a welding engineering application lab, a welding robotic and mechanical lab, as well as an automated welding workshop. The center is used to collaborate and educate customers on solutions that can improve their operational efficiency and safety.
In 2020, Lincoln Electric opened its new solution center in Dubai to showcase and demonstrate its full capabilities of welding and cutting solutions. This center brings Lincoln's network of centers to 38 worldwide.
Harris® aluminum rings and return bends are designed to an HVAC customer's specifications to help customers invest in aluminum brazing operations by delivering higher first-past yields and considerable cost reductions.
The System 50 automated cell offers small and medium-sized fabricators a turnkey robotic cell that comes fully assembled for immediate installation - helping advance automation beyond the earliest adopters in the automotive and heavy industry sectors.
Welding students during classroom instruction at the Welding Technology and Training Center in Cleveland. Classroom instruction is organized by welding application for specific end markets and are paired with welding lab equipment for specialized training.
In 2019, Chris Mapes, Chairman and CEO, launched the company's new 2025 Higher Standard Strategy to the organization's leaders.
After several acquisitions and organic growth, Lincoln Electric has become the industry's largest integrator of automated solutions for a broad range of industries, including transportation, heavy industries, oil and gas, infrastructure/construction and general fabrication.
This 2017 European advertisement introduced the joint solutions of Lincoln Electric and Air Liquide Welding (ALW), following the ALW acquisition earlier that year.
Lincoln's T300 stick electrode holder for DC welders.
An H-frame robotic cell designed, manufactured and assembled at one of Lincoln Electric Automation's facilities.
An example of a large metal 3D form produced with Lincoln's proprietary additive manufacturing (3D printing) technology.
Lincoln launched its state-of-the-art, large-scale, metal additive solution in 2019. Leveraging its expertise in metallurgy, robotics and software, the additive solution offers a new manufacturing process for metal tooling, molds, prototypes and industrial spare parts.
Lincoln's AutoDrive® SA is a high-performance aluminum servo torch solution engineered to address the common problems associated with robotic aluminum welding. The system integrates with a robot and communicates directly with a Lincoln Electric® Power Wave® resulting in a best-in-class Aluminum solution.
In August 2017, Lincoln Electric acquired Air Liquide Welding, which substantially increased Lincoln's presence in Europe and enhanced its long-term competitive position in the region.
2019 European print advertisement for the new POWERTEC® i380c - a new inverter-based compact welder for both MIG & STICK welding of steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and MIG brazing applications.
Harris® single stage stainless steel cylinder regulator. Harris manufactures gas handling products for industries that require pressure regulation. From regulators for welding and cutting operations to changeover and gas distribution systems, medical gas distribution applications, and specialty high purity two-stage regulators for pharmaceutical and biotech applications.
2014 U.S. print advertisement for the launch of the Power Mig® 210MP, a multi-process welder for the hobbyist, educator or small contractor. The introduction of push-and-turn digital controls and a color display screen made setup and operation intuitive and easy for occasional welders - supporting the growing DIY community.
CheckPoint® software provides customers with full visibility of their welding fabrication with essential welding data and in-depth weld analytics that capture the true cost and quality of their welding operations. Including operator arc on-time, OEE metrics, material consumption and weld and assembly information.
A commemorative "2025 Higher Standard Strategy" commitment card that was distributed to leaders in 2019 at the strategy's launch, and was later awarded to employees. The 2-sided metal etched card highlights the organization's purpose and the four key areas of strategic focus.
The AC225™ stick welder has been our most popular welder since its launch in the 1960s.
The Power Wave® AC/DC 1000® SD Subarc Welder has been a leading solution in industrial subarc welding applications. Combined with innovative processes, such as the long stick out process, customers can increase their productivity up to 50%.
In 2019, Lincoln launched the Ranger® 330MPX welder/generator engine drive for the construction, maintenance, and service truck industries. Its innovative design offers a powerful solution with a 20% smaller footprint, 25% less weight and is 60% quieter than other machines in its class, which enhances safety and comfort in the workplace. The photo captures the manufacture of the Ranger at the Cleveland, Ohio headquarter facility.
The POWER MIG® 260 welding machine set the standard for MIG and Flux-Cored welding in light industrial shop fabrication, maintenance, and repair work. The welder offers multiple professional-grade features including a seven inch color display with automatic controls which make setup and operation intuitive and simple. Lincoln's investment in new equipment systems gives it a high "vitality index" in equipment systems of over 50%. The vitality index is the percent of sales from new products launched within the past five years.
Lincoln's acquisition of Burlington Automation in 2013 expanded its automated portfolio to include a unique 3D robotic plasma cutting system, PythonX®. With over 375 systems installed worldwide, PythonX is the trusted, #1 robotic structural fabrication system in the world. The system replaces over 5 separate pieces of equipment and automates the cutting, coping, etching/marking, among other operations for steel I-beams used in structural applications.
Lincoln's Vantage® engine driven welders offer multi-process capability for construction, pipe rigs, and rental fleet applications and are found worldwide. Vantage engine drives provide AC generator power with reliable Perkins®, Deutz®, or Kubota® diesel engines. Lincoln Electric Chopper Technology® delivers great arc starts, low spatter, smooth arc performance and excellent weld results.
Magnum® PRO gas nozzle. Lincoln offers an extensive array of consumables, welding supplies and optional accessories for Lincoln Electric equipment, including undercarriages, covers, kits and more.
Example of a dual arm with positioner automated welding cell that was designed, manufactured and assembled by Lincoln Electric Automation.
A birdseye view of the welding booth area of the Welding Technology & Training Center in Cleveland, Ohio at the headquarter campus. The center offers students over 165 welding booths, a virtual reality training lab, seminar rooms, a 100 seat auditorium and an advanced technology training area, among other offerings.
Circa 1940s, WWII-era welding helmet.
A Viking® 3350 Code Red auto darkening welding helmet with 4C lens technology that provides premium optics with crystal clear, true color view of the arc and puddle.
A visual history of Lincoln Electric's first 125 years highlights the many accomplishments and events that distinguish the character and values of our remarkable employees and brand. As we reflect on our commitment to integrity, innovation and excellence, we look forward with confidence to a promising future. 1895 - 2020.
The Spark - Launching Arc Welding 1895 -1911.
Establishing an Industry of Trained Welders 1917-1930s.
Resilience & Expansion 1930s - 1940s.
Shaping Lincoln's Culture 1914-1959.
Continuous Improvement 1950s-1970s.
Changing Our Spots 1981-1985.
Building a Global Company 1980s-1990s.
Digitizing Welding and Maximizing Reach 2000-2011.
Advancing Growth & Automation 2012-2020.
Our Guiding Principle - The Golden Rule.
Our Purpose - Operating by a Higher Standard to Build a Better World.