The Joint Selection
by Chris Gandee
The VRTEX® 360 has multiple weld joint configurations available.
There are currently five available joint configurations:
• Flat plate
• Tee joint
• Groove joint
• 2″ XXS pipe
• 6″ schedule 40 pipe
Additionally, there are 3 possible process selections; they are:
• Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
• Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW)
• Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
Not every process can be done on every joint and/or material thickness. For example, the tee joints are the only joints that allow the user to choose multiple material thicknesses. To make it realistic, the VRTEX® 360 team created welds that could only be done in real world welding. For example, in general a welder would use GMAW-Spray transfer on a 3/8″ thick material, and not on a 10 gauge material.
There is a quick reference list in the front of the Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) book provided with each unit. There is also a quick reference list at the beginning of each section, specific to the different processes in the WPS book. Use these guides to learn what welds can be completed with each process and with each joint configuration/material thickness. For further reference, you can look at the “Joint Selection” and the “Process Selection” screen during setup.
Here’s how to select the proper weld joint along with the corresponding process:
- Turn on your VRTEX® 360 welding simulation machine by pressing and holding the round, green button, located under the “Instructors key” switch, for 3 to 5 seconds. You will hear the unit fans start and the green button will illuminate when the unit has been properly turned on.
- Once the unit has completely booted up, the VRTEX® 360 “Sign In” screen will appear, this usually takes a minute or two. This is the screen that has the rendition of a keyboard on it.
- Using the joystick and red “Select” button, type in the users name and press the rectangular green “Continue” button located on the color button bar.
NOTE:The green “Continue” button will be highlighted when a letter or name has been entered in the name block above the keyboard.
- Once you’re on the “Joint Selection” screen, you can toggle through the available joints using the joystick. To select a joint, press the red “Select” button. Depending on the joint selection one of two things will occur. If you select a tee joint the next step will be to select a material thickness. On any other joint type, it will take you directly to the “Process Selection” screen. If a tee joint is selected, use the joystick to highlight the material thickness desired and the red “Select” button to select it.
- On the “Process Selection” screen you may notice that some of the processes may not be highlighted (this is dependent on the joint type and material chosen). This does not mean you can’t use that process, it simply means you can’t use that process on that particular material thickness and joint configuration. Use the “Process Selection” switch to select the desired “highlighted” process. Remember you can only select the processes that are illuminated.
NOTE:The joint selection that gives the most options is the 1G or Flat Groove joint.
- Once you have selected the proper joint, material thickness, and process, you can now continue your setup by following the provided Welding Procedures Specification (WPS) and enjoy the benefits and excitement of virtual welding.
If there are any questions you can send an email firstname.lastname@example.org call our service line at 1-888-935-3878.